Garage doors are the elements of the joinery often used by active household members, sometimes several times in one day.
Negligence in maintaining the door clean leading to the accumulation of dirt between the sections under the side seals, in the guides, rollers and hinges, and the lack of proper regular care may be the reason why garage doors generate noises of friction, creaking, grinding or even shooting. In order to prevent this and enjoy the long-term operation of your garage door, you must regularly and properly maintain it. How to do it? Follow our tips.
How often should I clean and maintain my garage door?
Take care of your garage door from the very beginning and start as soon as at the construction stage. Clean and carry out its maintenance:
- After the installation
- After completion of the construction works
and in addition:
- At least 2 times a year and each time it seems to be dirty after visual inspection.
Step by step maintenance
Let’s move on to the practical part. We already know when the gate needs to be cleaned and now it’s time to get the work done. Follow our tips to do this correctly:
- Clean hard-to-reach places under gaskets and between sections. Compressed air may be very helpful here.
Note: Strictly avoid hard scrubbing as it may damage the surface.
- Clean the entire door shell. Wipe it with a damp cloth or rinse with a gentle stream of water but never use high-pressure cleaners. You can also clean the shell with a mild detergent and a soft bristle brush.
Remember: Before cleaning, apply the detergent on a small area hidden from the sight to check if it reacts with the garage door surface.
- After drying, lubricate the seals with silicone.
- Lubricate hinge pins and rollers with dry grease.
Remember: Do not lubricate the guides under any circumstances; clean only their interior from dust and impurities.
It is very important to use only maintenance products recommended by the manufacturer. Performing the above-mentioned activities before the winter period prevents the door from freezing.
The new KRISPOL products will be available as early as July.